A youth-based NGO, based in Port Elizabeth, is currently recruiting an Education & Skills Project Manager. The successful incumbent will be responsible for the overall management and oversight of the projects entire education programmes across all departments that fall within the scope of the entity's objectives. The position requires the employee to have extensive knowledge of and experience in the running of a dual-model school, or any other institution of learning and development.
Educational & Skills Project Manager Job, Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape
The employee will manage a multi-disciplinary team and carry out all management oversight functions to ensure that each department’s focus areas are aligned and that departmental operations are streamlined to function efficiently and effectively. This position is based in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape.
The position requires the employee to have extensive knowledge of and experience in the running of a dual-model school, or any other institution of learning and development.
The employee will take full responsibility for the operational oversight and management of:
- The Youth Academy, which comprises of functional integrated programmes in Adult Education and Training, Life-skills, Vocational, Work Readiness Skills as well as Sports and Recreation. The Youth Academy model is a holistic educational and skills training programme, which focus on the psychosocial, educational, skills development and life skills empowerment of the youth beneficiary.
- The Junior Residential program offers an integrated learning support model with the framework of the basic educational curriculum and prescribed special needs educational standards for challenged learners. The Junior School model is designed as a bridging special educational needs programme to support and prepare learners for placement into formal or special needs schools.
- The Community School Outreach Learners support programme provides educational support interventions to challenged and marginalised learners who require school support assistance. The programme aims to offer educational support, sports, and life-skills programmes to community children outside of the Youth Academy and Junior School basic educational and skills offerings.
THE MAIN JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Develop and maintain project plans for a range of projects you are responsible for
- Ensure programmes are delivered in a timely manner, managing risks, and escalating any issues where necessary
- Develop, implement, and maintain monitoring and evaluation systems for all programmes within your responsibility, to ensure that our work is impactful
- Develop, implement, and maintain project tracking documentation and systems and ensure that it is kept up to date
- Work with all departments to ensure that all aspects of the project and education department are aligned with across all departments
- Produce project case studies
- Produce written materials for projects (including recruitment materials, project resources, curriculum etc.)
- Participate in the development, revision, implementation, management, and evaluation of all educational programmes
- Encourage and support the development of innovative, stimulating instructional programmes, helping facilitators pilot such efforts when appropriate
- Promote the use of technology in the teaching/learning process
- Manage recruitment and selection processes for all relevant projects/departments
- Manage all training plans, timetables, schedules
- Supervision of all aspects of student discipline, behaviour management, wellness care plans, development plans and exit strategies
- Set up extracurricular, artistic, musical, and sporting activities for t students in and out of their communities
- Promote a positive, caring climate for learning
- Deal sensitively and fairly with persons from diverse backgrounds
- Communicate effectively with students and staff
- Participate in the revision, development and implementation and management of polices, processes and procedures
- Revise, implement and manage organizational efficiency improvement plans with staff, students, community members
- Implement cohesive interdepartmental communication frameworks, to ensure overall achievement of project departmental objectives
- Management of all education department staff performance, objectives, training needs, schedules, and workloads
- Develop and manage staff development plans, capacity building, performance evaluations
- Managing and developing performance indicators for all direct reports and providing prompt and objective coaching and counselling
Administration, Financial and Operational Management
- Supervise overall operations of the day to running of the various onsite/offsite programmes
- Manage all budgets and expenses for Education Programmes, working with department heads to compile quarterly/annual budgets and reports
- Progress reporting on all programmes on a bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly basis
- Devise an after-school education support programme for community students of all ages
- Devise a community-based education programme for out of school youth
- Devise a community-based education and training programme for unemployed youth and adults
- Developing and overseeing Community scholarships and student sponsorship programmes (primary up to tertiary)
Partnership development/Fundraising & Donations
- Scope potential and develop new partnerships with local authorities, funders, partners, education organizations, NGO’s, stakeholders where relevant to the project programmes
- Build relationships with other stakeholders across the education sector, relevant to the project
- Produce and manage partnership agreements/contracts/SLAs for partners where relevant
- Represent the company in the coordination of meetings and partnerships with internal and external partners
- Spearhead fundraising initiatives and drives
- Maintain organizational consistency through maintenance of strong and positive relations with all stakeholders
- Researching, implementing, and managing Internship and Volunteer Programmes
- A degree in the field of Education/Psychology or a related field is essential.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in a similar educational and/or further education and skills training environment.
- A thorough understanding of school/training provider operations
- A strong ability to implement policies and procedures
- Proven senior-level management experience in managing and leading a multi-disciplinary team.
- Sound understanding of the South African Education regulatory environment.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Local, Provincial and National Government Educational structures and systems.
- Dual educational and vocational skills training experience in a school/learning institution environment will be advantageous.
- Valid drivers’ licence and own vehicle essential.
- English, Afrikaans, and Xhosa language proficiency
- Must have understanding, knowledge and extensive experience with youth from disadvantaged backgrounds that may have low literacy levels, learning challenges (Remedial learners), behaviour issues, ADHD, past drug users
- High degree of analytical & numerate skills.
- Proven writing skills to produce qualitative monitoring and performance reports.
- Highly computer literate, with excellent electronic report writing skills.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Willingness to participate in planned weekend events/sports and holiday programmes for the learners.
- Excellent team and resource mobilization skills.
- Passion for development
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to remain attentive in an often busy environment;
- Ability to resolve and/or escalates issues in a timely fashion.
- Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Genuine commitment to teamwork and the collective effort to bring about positive and impactful educational and skills development in children and youth.