An NGO in the conservation of wildlife is looking for a Part-Time permanent Financial Director. Please include a motivational letter indicating why you believe this role would suit you and how your skills support the role.
Responsibilities and requirements:
The Financial Director will oversee all financial aspects of the organisation and drive the organisation’s financial strategy and planning.
- Financial activities will include reporting on donor revenue, training accounting staff, budgeting, disbursing funds to regions and projects, managing risk, implementing policies, and improving financial processes.
- Operations run in Botswana, Namibia and Angola through the presence of local operating entities in South Africa.
- They also have a USA based organization.
- The organization, therefore deals in multiple currencies; ZAR, USD, BWP, AOA and sometimes NAD.
Projects and operations include:
- Exploration and Field Research expeditions to Angola, Namibia and Botswana;
- Fixed base research operations in South Africa and Botswana;
- Organizing, implementing and supporting of community-based projects;
- Infrastructure development projects in Botswana and Angola;
- Organizing events that support and advocate for the various causes linked to the project.
Control of Finances
- Financial control is a key responsibility of the Financial Director.
- They must set comprehensive budgets and work closely with the CEO and organisational directors to ensure that income and expenditure remain within the target.
- Maintain control over all financial transactions and take responsibility for managing the organisation’s liquidity, ensuring that it always has access to cash and sources of credit.
- Develop and implement accounting policies to minimize risk and ensure that the organisation reports its financial position accurately.
- Oversee annual insurance.
- Oversee the organisation’s accounting and finance systems.
- Oversee petty cash systems as there are still some payments made in cash across the projects of the Trust.
- Evaluate and ensure that funds held in surplus or deposit are with suitable institutions.
- Manage the team of staff involved with day-to-day financial tasks.
- Set targets for and supervise all accounting and finance personnel.
- Ensure that all financial team members follow legal and organisational requirements for accurate, compliant financial data.
- Oversee all audit, tax and internal control operations.
- Ensure adherence to financial laws and guidelines.
- Maintain constant awareness of the company’s financial position and act to prevent problems.
- Conduct analysis to make forecasts and reports for the Chairman, CEO, and trustees.
- Prepare timely and detailed reports on the financial performance of the organisation
- and its divisions on a quarterly and annual basis in line with generally accepted accounting principles.
- As part of this role, the Financial Director will meet with the trustees and stakeholders, such as significant donors and sponsors, to build confidence in the financial status of the organisation and update them on financial performance.
- Ensure organisational growth plans are based on sound financial decisions.
- Liaise and work closely with the Chairman, CEO and other senior executives by providing
- them with a financial and commercial perspective of the projects.
- Evaluate the financial potential and risk of the various project plans and growth.
- Accurately provide financial strategic guidance for the organisation.
- Make financial forecasts and weigh in on financial decisions for the organisation.
Staff / Relationship Management
- Build credibility, relationships, and maintain communication mechanisms with financial staff, senior organisational executives, trustees, and external stakeholders.
- Conduct performance evaluations quarterly with accounting / financial staff members.
- Evaluate and discuss accounting / financial outcomes and lessons learned with the relevant staff so that efficiencies can be evaluated and maintained and improvements made where applicable.
- Provide financial input when required to senior executives regarding their fundraising strategy and management of relationships with partners and stakeholders.
- Given nature and anticipated time required of the role, the vacancy is likely to suit a retired / semi-retired accountant or banker with the relevant experience or an individual with other work or personal commitments:
- Proven and successful financial management experience.
- Strong numerical, analytical, and strategic thinking skills to drive the organisation’s financial operations and improve financial performance/outcomes.
- Sound financial planning skills coupled with the ability to direct assets.
- Broad knowledge of accounting and business principles.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Holder of a recognised accounting qualification.
- Fully computer literate with excellent proficiency in accounting software and computer literacy with Google Suite knowledge is preferable.
- Prior working experience with Sage Pastel NPO, Sage Business Cloud will be a strong advantage, working knowledge of Syft Analytics a benefit too.
- Fully versed in International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) standards.
- Versatility to meet a continually changing set of circumstances.
- Organised and professional individual who has a high attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to independently initiate, structure, and manage financial issues.
- Based in South Africa, with the ability to travel to financial meetings as and when required.
- Fluency in English required, with Portuguese and/or Setswana as an added advantage.
- Excellent presentation and written/oral communication skills with the ability to communicate complex financial information to both finance professionals and non-specialists.
- Strong supervisory and team management experience, including the ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, and manage the performance of a financial team.
- Diplomacy and ability to make quick decisions;
- Ability to manage budgets and cash flow in multiple currencies.
- Team player with experience in successfully building the skills and knowledge of others.
- Flexible, optimistic, good humour, patience, self-motivated to achieve a collective purpose.