A Tech Ed institute is currently urgently requiring a Senior Learning Designer to primarily be responsible for curating, augmenting, creating, and quality assuring secondary school course content and assessments that are suitable for high-touch online delivery. The position is full time, with flexibility remote-based position. Candidate can work from anywhere in South Africa.
The incumbent will play a vital role in ensuring that the development of content across subjects is relevant to the learning cohort, of high quality and; developed within the required timelines and the scope of the project. The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following
- Use the Pearson level specifications to ensure that content meets the required examination standards, and determine the adequacy or inadequacy of content.
- Conduct planning and analysis per subject area to recommend appropriate design solutions and strategies for online delivery.
- Analyse the characteristics of the learning management system (LMS) and emerging technologies and use the unique affordances of these technologies to make design decisions.
- Transfer and re-develop content from textbook books, journals, web resources, as well as other related educational resources into a richly augmented format that meets online delivery objectives.
- Work with subject matter experts and collaborate with production specialists to create targeted content in a wide variety of mediums to complement or support the curriculum.
- Design and create targeted continuous assessment strategies that support students in their progression towards their summative examinations.
- Work with project management and various operational stakeholders to ensure that deadlines are adhered to and that project communication takes place in a timely and effective manner.
- Work on evaluation strategies to review the effectiveness of a design strategy, and review content at set intervals as part of company's approach to continuous improvement.
- Perform quality assurance on Learning Designers’ work across subjects and qualifications.
- Line manage, capacitate, and motivate a team of Learning Designers.
- Champion a culture of learning among Learning Designers by coordinating and facilitating capacity development workshops.
- Contribute to departmental process improvements.
- Assist with recruitment and the onboarding of new recruits.
- Develop innovative pedagogical and blended online learning approaches in collaboration with the Head of Learning Design.
- Identify appropriate tools and software to improve the delivery of qualifications on the online learning campus.
- Develop course outlines, guidance documents, templates and policies.
- Research and resolve content ambiguities based on incomplete or inaccurate information.
- Refine learning design quality assurance framework.
- Support Head of Learning Design with day-to-day departmental functions as requested.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Education, Project Management, Instructional Design, PGCE or related experience
- Proven skills and experience in learning design and the development of student-centred digital learning experiences and resources
- Knowledge of digital learning principles and practices, as well as current and future trends in digital technologies
- Demonstrated project management skills in the development of digital content for online courses
- Exercise discretionary judgment and negotiate for positive outcomes
Personal Skills & Attributes
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, and build collaborative work relationships
- Strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and to work in a team environment
- Good presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability and flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment and able to prioritise work appropriately